Sunday, July 1, 2007

BOOM! Let the fun begin!




For over 2 weeks now the sparkling & crashing booms have bombarded the evening sky in suburban Kansas City. Some might say the folks are just "testing their wares". I know better, they're really just warming up!

Around 9pm (Sunday- July 1) we (Dennis & I) went out on the deck to watch the fireflies and the 3 or 4 neighbors warming up. We were NOT disappointed. I have no idea what most of the 'far crackers' are called other than:Roman Candles, bottle rockets, sparklers, Black Cats, those wicked little Lady Fingers. That's it I think--nope! I remember "snakes" those nasty black ashy things you light on the ground AND (my favorite) - SMOKE BOMBS! As I was saying...we were watching the neighbors burn up some of their hard earned $$ when somebody on the street behind our house let off this AMAZING wonderment of sound and lights. It spit out 3 big bursts of rat ta tat tats- sounded JUST like a machine gun! Accompanying the machine gun were these wonderful syncronized bursts of white and red light action. This was KICK ASS!
Never seen one of these before-I had to get the name of this new sparkly, so that WE could get one- natch! So I jump into my flip-flops and make my way around the block to find out what this thing is called. To my surprise, there are no kids outside, no teenage boys, just a man & woman. I announced myself as I approached and compliment them on their far crackerz. I learn they are new in the 'hood, they have 5 kids between them, none of which were home, AND they have approximately $2000 ---I said TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS worth of FIRE WORKS! AND we are SO INVITED to come over and (thank you Jesus) watch!
Now-let me clarify one thing folks, we are NOT loaded. I mean, our neighborhood is nice, but not that nice. As it turns out, this woman's brother owns several fireworks stands. I wish I had useful relative. BTW - the cracker was called One Heck of a Firework, and that's exactly what it was.
Stay tuned

No comments: